No matter your age or skin type, microdermabrasion is a great way to restore your skin’s natural glow. It’s a safe cosmetic procedure that removes the dead skin off your face, allowing new cells to grow. After just a few sessions, you–and others–will notice a difference!
Microdermabrasion is a powerful exfoliation procedure, done with a special device that has a diamond-tip wand to remove the dead skin. Performed by a skilled professional, the wand is connected to a vacuum, which suctions away the dead skin. A session lasts about 30 minutes; the skin may be pink immediately afterward, but there is no recovery down-time. Sunscreen must be worn for several days, even if it’s cloudy, to protect the new skin.
Here are five benefits for you to consider getting microdermabrasion treatments:
1. It’s anti-aging. A series of microdermabrasion treatments can reduce fine lines and wrinkles; decrease the appearance of age spots; smooth skin; and reduce pore size.
2. It’s non-invasive. Unlike more drastic procedures, such as deep chemical peels which penetrate several skin layers and cause a second-degree burn, microdermabrasion only removes the top layer. With the top layer off, young skin cells can grow.
3. It’s for all skin types. Besides its anti-aging benefit, microdermabrasion helps repair sun damage and uneven skin tones. For oily skin, it can reduce acne scars. The Mayo Clinic lists it as a treatment for blemished skin.
4. It’s safe and effective. When done by a professional, microdermabrasion is easy and painless. At-home microdermabrasion kits can be abrasive and cause skin irritation, especially when trying to cope with dull winter skin.
5. It’s a boost for skin products. After microdermabrasion, skin products such as Collagen, Retin A and Vitamin C work more efficiently, because they can penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin faster.
Microdermabrasion is usually done in a series of treatments. Your skin care professional will determine how many treatments can help you achieve your best look. Even one treatment can help revive your skin for a special event!